My name is David Coates
I'm a licensed psychotherapist in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Our capacity to navigate life is largely dependent on our ability to work with ourselves emotionally, psychologically, spiritually and relationally. These are not skills most of us were taught. As a therapist, I'll support you in getting curious about your internal world. From that place of awareness, we can work together to help you heal wounded parts of yourself and come more fully into your relationships. The resulting shift is from an adversarial or conflicted internal relationship to one of trust and collaboration. With this foundation, life can be amazing.
Psychotherapy is about:
- Going inward and discovering what is there.
- Learning how to come into relationship with yourself in a meaningful and compassionate way.
- Seeing and letting go of old patterns in your life that no longer serve.
- Finding out for yourself what is true for you.
- Developing a capacity to listen deeply from a place within yourself from which you can make decisions and live your life.
I am a licensed MFT, adjunct faculty at the California Institute of Integral Studies (where I graduated in 2004), and have been in private practice in the Bay Area since 2004. With a background in gestalt, existential psychotherapy, AEDP, and Internal Family Systems, I take an engaged and active approach and work collaboratively with individuals and couples in learning to be more authentic, empowered, and loving.